Connect with us

Sports News

New York Mets’ Sandy Alderson says New York City a deterrent in team’s GM search

blank

Published

on

blank

CARLSBAD, Calif. — New York Mets president Sandy Alderson says the biggest impediment in the club’s dragging search for a general manager isn’t his presence nor owner Steve Cohen, but the spotlight created by the New York market.

“I think it’s mostly about New York, and not about, you know, Steve or the organization or what have you,” he said Tuesday. “It’s a big stage and some people would just prefer to be elsewhere.”

Alderson said the team is considering several candidates for its vacancy, but he does not have any interviews lined up during baseball’s general manager meetings this week in Southern California. He hopes to have some clarity by the end of the week but did not want to set a deadline for when New York will end its ongoing search.

“I don’t want to give you a timeline,” he said. “We’ve already blown through what most people would say is a reasonable timeline.”

New York fired acting general manager Zack Scott on Nov. 1, two months after he was arrested on charges of drunken driving. Scott was promoted to the role in January when Jared Porter was fired after fewer than 40 days on the job following revelations he sent sexually explicit text messages and images to a female reporter in 2016 while working for the Chicago Cubs.

Porter and Scott were hired last offseason after Alderson and Cohen failed in their search for a president of baseball operations. Alderson said the club has hit a similar roadblock this offseason.

Alderson said several candidates were unable to get permission from their current club to interview for the job, while others have declined because they are too comfortable personally or professionally where they are.

Largely, though, he thinks New York itself is keeping people away.

“There are a lot of factors that come into play, but I would say it’s, you know, it’s not unforgiving, but it’s a demanding place,” he said. “Which I enjoy, by the way.”

Alderson said he has interviewed many candidates and Cohen has interviewed some. He believes the organization will make just one hire, for a general manager. He did not rule out the possibility that a president of baseball operations could be hired above that GM in future offseasons.

“Assuming we only hire one person, there will be at least a year runway for that person to demonstrate their ability and their potential,” he said. “I’ve said this to others in the past, that’s the opportunity. That’s all you can ask for. And demonstrated ability tends to get rewarded.

“If you’re looking to be comfortable, this is probably not the place, the Mets are probably not the place to come,” he added.

Alderson said he was a little surprised by how many candidates had turned them down.

He also denied that concerns about autonomy have led to some of those nos. Alderson, who has 40 years of baseball experience, will oversee whoever is hired, and his son, Bryn, is an assistant general manager.

He called concerns about Bryn’s position “a red herring” and said he isn’t even telling his son who is under consideration. Alderson also said he believed his working relationship with Scott this season was strong and demonstrated the freedom an incoming GM would have.

“Am I there to advise? Yes,” he said. “But if you look at my relationship with Zack over the last year, it was probably more of that oversight early, but as he got involved in the day-to-day operation, there was less and less and that.”

Alderson said during the season he would wait for Scott’s legal issues to be resolved before acting on his employment, but with Scott scheduled for a December court date, the team fired him this month due to the uncertainty entering the offseason.

He said Tuesday that Scott is “a good man” and the club strongly considered bringing him back.

“In my view, Zack did an excellent job for us,” he said. “I thought he was constantly working the wire and trying to make the club better.”

Character is a concern for Alderson and the Mets, which in recent years have hired Porter as well as former manager Mickey Callaway, who last May was banned by Major League Baseball through at least 2022 following an investigation of sexual harassment allegations.

Alderson defended his hiring of Callaway in 2018 by saying he was the “hottest commodity on the market to manage.”

“Could we have done more to uncover some facts in retrospect? I think that’s always, almost always the case,” he said.

“I’m the head of the operation, so I take full responsibility and I’m accountable for that,” he added. “You know, the captain goes as the captain goes.”

The Mets are also without a manager after firing Luis Rojas last month, and Alderson said he will wait until a GM is hired before picking up that search.

Despite all that, Alderson said the Mets “continue to function.” The club extended $18.4 million, one-year qualifying offers over the weekend to free agents Noah Syndergaard and Michael Conforto, and he said Tuesday that Conforto’s agent has already informed him the outfielder will decline.

The Mets sent a small delegation to the GM meetings this week, and Alderson said he wasn’t worried about being here without a general manager as leaders from all 30 baseball operations departments gather.

Alderson joked that he has interviewed so many candidates for the Mets job that “probably half the people are going to be here today.”

Still, he said, “I’m confident that we’re going to find somebody very capable and right for the job.”


Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency/news feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor.

Source link

Sports News

Steelers’ Mike Tomlin supports NFL’s emphasis on taunting: ‘We’re trying to clean our game up’

blank

Published

on

blank

The Steelers emerged from their Week 9 “Monday Night Football” game against the Bears with a 29-27 win, but the end of the game wasn’t without controversy.

Bears pass rusher Cassius Marsh was flagged for a questionable taunting call after picking up a key sack on third-and-7 with 3:40 left in the game. 

The penalty kept the Steelers’ drive alive and allowed them to burn more clock and get another field goal. That extended their lead to 26-20 with just under three minutes left in the game.

MORE: NFL referee Tony Corrente explains controversial calls against Bears

The Bears, including Marsh, were understandably angry with the call. Meanwhile, NFL fans berated the league’s enforcement of the much-maligned emphasis on taunting.

But what did the Steelers think of the taunting call? Well, coach Mike Tomlin didn’t mind it at all. He actually praised the league’s emphasis on taunting during a Tuesday afternoon press conference.

“We’re trying to clean our game up,” Tomlin said to reporters, per ESPN. “We embrace the responsibility of being the role models that we are. We understand people at a lower level watch us and mimic what we do.”

MORE: Bears taunting penalty proves critical in “MNF” loss

Tomlin is a member of the NFL’s competition committee, the governing body that recommended the taunting emphasis. Thus, it’s no surprise to see him come out in support of this rule.

That said, it’s fair to wonder how Tomlin would have felt if he was on the other end of this call. He still may have taken a diplomatic approach, like his counterpart, Bears coach Matt Nagy, did after the game.

“With 12 penalties, that’s too many,” Nagy said to reporters, per NBC. “What it does is it pushes you back or gives them free yards. You want to stay away from penalties and I think we need to be better there.”

MORE: How camera angle fooled “MNF” viewers on Bears’ game-tying FG attempt

Marsh was a bit more expressive with his thoughts on the call than his coach.

“I think it’s pretty clear to everybody who saw it that I wasn’t taunting,” Marsh said. “It’s just sad to see stuff like that happen in a close game like that. Just rough.”


Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency/news feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor.

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports News

“What did James Corden do?” Internet asks after ‘Wicked’ petition touches 60K signatures 

blank

Published

on

blank

A petition to keep James Corden out of appearing in the Wicked movie recently received more than 60K signatures. The petition was launched shortly after it was announced that the film would feature award-winning pop star Ariana Grande and Oscar-nominated actress Cynthia Erivo.

The petition, directed towards Universal Studios, was created by a man named Mikel Miller and received immediate support from viewers across the globe. The caption of the petition reads:

“James Corden in no way shape or form should be in or near the production of Wicked the movie. That’s pretty much it.”

A viral petition to keep James Corden out of Jon M. Chu’s adaptation of ‘Wicked’ has amassed over 10,000 signatures in just two days. https://t.co/gNwVGWYGDs


Twitter reacts to petition against casting James Corden in ‘Wicked’

Petition against James Corden leaves the internet divided (Image via Getty Images)
Petition against James Corden leaves the internet divided (Image via Getty Images)

Wicked‘s big-screen adaptation is one of the most anticipated upcoming projects from Universal Studios. However, following the confirmation of Ariana Grande and Cynthia Erivo’s casting in the lead role, a petition against casting James Corden in the film went viral online.

The mass request is likely based off Corden’s recent appearances in multiple musicals that failed to leave some viewers impressed. The Late Late Show host recently appeared in film adaptations of popular musicals Cats and Cinderella, both of which failed to achieve critical success.

Petition against Corden's appearance in 'Wicked' movie (Image via ChangeOrg)
Petition against Corden’s appearance in ‘Wicked’ movie (Image via ChangeOrg)

While several social media users took to Twitter to voice their support for the petition against the TV host, many individuals were also left confused by the mass demand.

What is with all this hate for James Corden? What did he do?

What did james corden do? Why is he the new Guy Fieri.Leave that man alone or tell me what he did.

Why are people so mean to James Corden? What did he do? I thought he was just adorable and British? Did I miss something?

why ya hating on james corden?what he do? did i miss smt???

@PopCrave I don’t think James Corden is a great actor but the hate he gets is baffling. What did he do?

me creating new email accounts to sign the “keep james corden out of wicked” petition https://t.co/QPTEu2yjuc

They better not cast James Corden in this WICKED musical. https://t.co/RyCT7N52rd

If they cast James Corden in Wicked I swear to god

James Corden and Lea Michele after not being cast in Wicked. https://t.co/4UulHGYLWK

As reactions continue to pour in online, it remains to be seen if Corden will address the situation and respond to the petition against him.

So far, it has not been revealed if the broadcaster has a potential replacement candidate for his role in the upcoming film. Producers have also maintained their silence regarding the demand so far.

The film adaptation of Wicked will be a prequel to Wizard of Oz and highlights all the events that led to Dorothy’s arrival in Oz. The project is based on the Tony Award-winning musical and will be directed by In the Heights director John M. Chu.

Grande will portray the role of Glinda the Good Witch while Erivo will play Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West.

blank

The screenplay for the film is written by Stephen Schwartz alongside Winnie Holzman. The former is also the man behind the music and lyrics of the Wicked Broadway show.

Marc Platt, the producer of the original musical, has also returned to serve as the producer of the film.






Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency/news feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor.

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports News

India’s T20I squad for New Zealand series announced, Rohit Sharma to lead, Virat Kohli rested | Cricket News

blank

Published

on

blank

New Delhi: Rohit Sharma was on Tuesday was officially anointed India’s new T20 captain replacing Virat Kohli, who has been rested from the three-match series against New Zealand starting November 17 in Jaipur.

The new-look team also has IPL’s highest run-getter Ruturaj Gaikwad and top wicket-taker Harshal Patel in the squad of 16 along with Venkatesh Iyer, who is seen as a potential all-round replacement for the injury-ravaged Hardik Pandya.

Pandya has been dropped from the squad after failing to make an impact during the T20 World Cup. Ruturaj has already played for India in the Sri Lanka series.

Senior leg-spinner Yuzvendra Chahal rightfully got his place in the squad back while Mohammed Siraj, who has played a few T20Is in the past, is also in the mix.

Shreyas Iyer, Axar Patel and Deepak Chahar, who were in the T20 World Cup reserves are now in the main squad.

Rohit’s appointment was a formality and KL Rahul will be his new deputy in shortest format.

Pacers Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Shami and spinner Ravindra Jadeja have also been given much-needed rest for the short series.

However, Pandya, who didn’t actually provide an honest picture of his fitness status has been dropped from the squad.

India’s T20I squad: Rohit Sharma (Captain), KL Rahul (Vice-Captain), Ruturaj Gaikwad, Shreyas Iyer, Suryakumar Yadav, Rishabh Pant (wicket-keeper), Ishan Kishan (wicket-keeper), Venkatesh Iyer, Yuzvendra Chahal, R Ashwin, Axar Patel, Avesh Khan, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Deepak Chahar, Harshal Patel, Mohd. Siraj.


Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency/news feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending