NSW could spend more on financial aid during lockdown
The NSW treasurer, Dominic Perrottet, has acknowledged the state government will need to stump up significantly more financial assistance to businesses and individuals as the likelihood of a long-term greater Sydney Covid-19 lockdown grows.
AAP reports that Perrottet has said the NSW government may also make use of federal income support platforms to administer state government-funded financial assistance, if required.
The lockdown of greater Sydney is due to end on 16 July but both premier Gladys Berejiklian and Perrottet have in recent days admitted it will likely be extended.
Perrotet said today the government would thus be obliged to splash more cash on assistance, and that a second business support package would be announced later this week.
NSW has already spent $1.4bn on business support amid the current lockdown.
“Last year there didn’t seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel whereas now the vaccine program is rolling out across the state – this gives hope this will hopefully be the last time we have to go through this,” Perrottet told Sky News. “We’re going to have to do more, that’s just the reality.”
Perrottet was reportedly opposed to the extension of the initial two-week lockdown in greater Sydney and surrounds due to its effect on business.
While he acknowledged on Sunday that NSW could not currently let the virus run rampant through the community due to low vaccination rates, he said Australians would one day need to adjust and accept the presence of Covid-19 in the community.
“At some point in time we will be opening up the international borders – we can’t be living here on the other side of the world as a backwater,” Perrottet said.
We’re a month out from the next census.
Five years on however, the “censusfail” of 2016 still hangs over the ABS. Josh Taylor spoke to the person looking to make sure it doesn’t happen again.
However, Victorian residents should be aware of this latest potential exposure site, which was listed late last night.
A Qantas flight from Launceston to Melbourne on 2 July has been listed as a Tier 2 exposure site.
Queensland, Victoria record no new cases
In good news, Queensland has recorded no new local Covid-19 cases today. The state has recorded one new case in hotel quarantine.
Victoria has also recorded no new local Covid-19 cases – continuing a streak of donut days.
In his Insiders interview earlier this morning, the ABC’s David Speers briefly asked Anthony Albanese to speak about “the issues that go to the prime minister you would be, if given the chance”.
As luck would have it, political editor Katharine Murphy has this feature answering that very question, in depth and detail, this morning.
In 2011, Julia Gillard declared: “We will not abandon Afghanistan.”
Tony Abbott, said we must never “cut and run”.
But last month, with no formal announcement, Australia left Afghanistan with barely a whimper.
Paul Daley and Ben Doherty have this feature on how we got here.
Trade minister to visit US, Korea, Japan next week
The federal trade minister, Dan Tehan, has announced he will embark on a tour of Australia’s trading partners next week, and personally visit Singapore, Vietnam, Republic of Korea, Japan and the US.
Tehan will travel for two weeks and then return to spend two weeks in quarantine.
Previously, his itinerary included Indonesia, but that has been scrapped.
Albanese says a form of jobkeeper or a similar program should be brought back in NSW, as it goes into its third week of lockdown.
If not jobkeeper, something very similar [should be reinstated]. Workers are suffering, they are losing their jobs, and businesses are losing their profitability and some are losing their capacity to be able to continue.
It is missing, and if the circumstances are the same as when that support was provided, then why isn’t it being provided right now?
Albanese is asked whether Australia should be willing to “accept some level of Covid” and Covid deaths in the community, similar to the US and UK.
I don’t think that ever we should say we accept deaths, and it’s also my very strong view that we shouldn’t deal with hypotheticals.
He also was heavily critical of the government’s new vaccination campaign – a military themed ad called Arm Yourself.
I’m not sure that this cuts it. It will be very difficult for Shaun Micallef to send this ad up.
If after 18 months if this is the best they can do, they need to go back to the drawing board.
On the ABC’s Insiders program, Labor leader Anthony Albanese says the government should work harder to increase Australia’s vaccine supply.
We need to talk to our friends in the United States about Pfizer and Moderna. Canada and Mexico have been able to get additional vaccines. We need to be moving with producing mRNA vaccines right here as well.
We saw recently South Korea get access to the excess Pfizer vaccines from Israel.
Of course, no blog this morning could be complete without a mention of Ash Barty and Dylan Alcott who won their Wimbledon finals last night (and early this morning).
Barty won her first ever Wimbledon title, adding to her French Open win in 2019, and became the first Australian woman to win Wimbledon since Evonne Goolagong Cawley in 1980.
Barty’s win this morning also came on the 50th anniversay of Goolagong Cawley’s first Wimbledon title, in 1971.
Barty paid tribute to Goolagong Cawley, her friend and mentor, saying “I hope I made Evonne proud.”
Alcott won his latest Wimbledon title earlier on Saturday night. Having won the Australian Open and the French Open already, if he wins the US Open and a gold medal at this year’s Paralympic Games, he will win the coveted “golden slam”.
New exposure sites listed in NSW
NSW has listed new potential exposure sites overnight. People who have been to the following are close contacts and must get tested and isolate for 14 days regardless of their test result.
A reminder that exposure sites listed by NSW Health are not places where confirmed transmission of Covid-19 has occurred, they are places where a Covid-19 positive person visited.
- Merrylands, Direct Trade, Shop 1/150 Merrylands Road, Saturday 3 July 2.20pm – 2.50pm.
- Fairfield, Freshness 4 Less, 74 Ware Street Sunday 4 July 12pm – 1pm.
- Chipping Norton, Benedict Recycling, 33-39 Riverside Road, Monday 5 July 10.50am – 12pm.
- Penrith, Barbeques Galore, 2/120 Mulgoa Road, Tuesday 6 July 3pm – 3.15pm
- Moorebank Butcher Shed, Moorebank Shopping Centre, Shop 16/42 Stockton Avenue Tuesday 6 July 1pm – 1.15pm.
- Miranda Bupa Dental Miranda, 600 Kingsway, Wednesday 7 July 10.50am – 12.10pm.
- Punchbowl, Chemist Warehouse 18/1 Broadway, Thursday 8 July 9.20am – 9.40am.
- Roselands, Mrs Fields Roselands Shopping Centre, Roselands Dr, Roselands, Wednesday 30 June 10.30am – 10.45am.
- Greenacre Medical Practice, 168 Waterloo Rd Greenacre, Monday 5 July, 11.40am – 1.50pm, Tuesday 6 July, 12.40pm – 1.45pm.
- Greenacre, St Peters Cafe On Wentworth, 29 Wentworth St Greenacre, Monday 5 July, 6am – 6.30am.
- Belmore Medical Centre, 481 Burwood Ave Belmore, Monday 5 July 6.30pm – 7.15pm.
- Kogarah, Commonwealth Bank, 104-106 Railway Parade Kogarah, Monday 5 July 3.05pm – 3.35pm.
- Penrith, BBQ Galore, 2/120 Mulgo Rd Penrith, Tuesday 6 July 2.30pm – 3.45pm.
New mask rules and travel rules for Sydney and NSW
Additional mask rules have been announced for greater Sydney and for NSW overnight, with the NSW health minister, Brad Hazzard, amending the existing public health order.
From today, masks are now required in all indoor areas of construction sites throughout NSW.
From Tuesday 13 July, masks will be required in all indoor common property areas of residential premises in greater Sydney. For example, in the lifts and lobbies of apartment blocks.
There are now also additional restrictions on residents of NSW entering greater Sydney.
A person cannot enter greater Sydney for the purpose of exercise or outdoor recreation:
- A person can only enter greater Sydney for the purpose of obtaining goods or services if those goods or services are not reasonably available outside of greater Sydney.
- A person can only enter greater Sydney for a funeral, memorial service or gathering afterwards if there are no more than 10 persons (including the person conducting the service).
A person over 18 who is leaving greater Sydney must carry evidence showing their address and produce it to a police officer on request.
The full public health order is here – but the updated version with the latest restriction is not online yet.
Morning all, and welcome back to our liveblog. It’s Naaman Zhou here with you today.
In NSW, residents are waking up to a range of new potential exposure sites, on the second full day of even stricter restrictions.
Today’s NSW case numbers will be out at 11am. We’ll bring you all the day’s news as it happens.
Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency/news feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor.